Former Bush Press Secretary Backs Obama
Scott McClellan, whose book did not speak favorably of the Bush administration, says he’s supporting Senator Obama for president. In his book, What Happened: Inside the Bush White House and Washington’s Culture of Deception McClellan laid out some of his problems with the his former employer.
• McClellan charges that Bush relied on “propaganda” to sell the war.
• He says the White House press corps was too easy on the administration during the run-up to the war.
• He admits that some of his own assertions from the briefing room podium turned out to be “badly misguided.”
• The longtime Bush loyalist also suggests that two top aides held a secret West Wing meeting to get their story straight about the CIA leak case at a time when federal prosecutors were after them – and McClellan was continuing to defend them despite mounting evidence they had not given him all the facts.
• McClellan asserts that the aides – Karl Rove, the president’s senior adviser, and I. Lewis “Scooter” Libby, the vice president’s chief of staff – “had at best misled” him about their role in the disclosure of former CIA operative Valerie Plame’s identity.
This makes McClellan the second high-profile former Bush administration official to back the Democratic nominee, following the Colin Powell endorsement. Do things happen in threes?Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2008 Liberaland