Things To Know About New York’s Newest Senator
- Kirsten Gillibrand is her name and it’s pronounced “jill-uh-brand”.
- She was first elected in 2006.
- She voted against the financial rescue package last fall.
- She is endorsed by the NRA: “I come from a hunting family,” Gillibrand has said. “It’s part of our culture and heritage.” Also: “I’m going to be an advocate for hunters’ rights.“
- Congresswoman Carolyn McCarthy of Long Island is furious with the choice. Her husband was killed and her son injured in a Long Island Railroad massacre in 1993, which propelled her to run for Congress, and she may challenge Gillibrand for the Democratic nod in two years.
- She majored in Asian Studies at Dartmouth and has a law degree from UCLA.
- One summer, she worked for Republican New York senator Al D’Amato.
Copyright 2009 Liberaland