Posted by | December 14, 2009 20:19 | Filed under: Top Stories

Because of the work of Citizens Responsibility for Ethics in Washington and the National Security Archive, 22 million emails that were missing in the Bush White House have been recovered. It will be at least until 2014 before the public sees what’s in them because of the process these records must go through.


The Bush team says these emails were already recovered, and it’s liberal groups that are still going after Bush and distorting the issue.


Former Bush White House spokesman Scott Stanzel said the 22 million e-mails already had been recovered while Bush was still in office and that misleading statements about the former administration’s work demonstrate “a continued anti-Bush agenda, nearly a year after a new president was sworn in.”

 

“The liberal groups CREW and National Security Archive litigate for sport, distort the facts and have consistently tried to create a spooky conspiracy out of standard IT issues,” Stanzel said in a statement.

 

However, the lack of transparency during the Bush years is legendary.


Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Patrick Leahy, D-Vt., said the Bush administration had been dismissive of congressional requests that the administration recover the e-mails. Leahy said it was “another example of the Bush administration’s reflexive resistance to congressional oversight and the public’s right to know.”

 

The tally of missing e-mails, the additional searches and the settlement are the latest development in a political controversy that stemmed from the Bush White House’s failure to install a properly working electronic record keeping system. Two federal laws require the White House to preserve its records.

Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2009 Liberaland
By: Alan

Alan Colmes is the publisher of Liberaland.