What We Know About Terror Suspect
Mediaite has a running thread on what is known so far about Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab, or Abdul Mudallad, or Abdul Farouk Abdulmutallab, or Abdul Farouk Mutallab, depending up on which source you reference.
- He’s Nigerian.
- He’s 23.
- He claims to be working with al Qaeda.
- He was on a “U.S. government watch list of people with suspected terrorist ties” — but not a no-fly list.
- He traveled from Lagos to Amsterdam to Detroit. He was traveling one way — no return ticket.
- He’s being treated for burns in Detroit, thanks to the aforementioned failed attempt. Well, better him than anyone else (though there were a few passengers injured, not seriously). Certainly better than if he had been successful.
- He is the son of the recently retired Chairman of First Bank of Nigeria, Dr. Umaru Abdul Mutallab.
- The Al-Qaida-linked Abdul Farouk Abdulmutallab is an engineering student at University College London. Saharareporters sources have revealed that prior to his sojourn in the UK, Farouk had studied at the prestigious British School of Lome, Togo. Where he passed his International Bacchalaureates Diploma before moving to UCL.
- The younger Muttallab lives in a £4 million pounds apartment in Central London, although he is only a student. The apartment, Flat 16, no 2 Mansfield Street in London, W1G9NE is registered to a US company and has been raided by UK security agents today.
- Family sources that declined to be named told Saharareporters that in 2008, Farouk has left the London school and frequented Yemen. He told his friends and relatives that he wanted to study Arabic, a decision that came after he reportedly met Islamic radical elements in London.
Copyright 2009 Liberaland