Who Is Exempt From Airport Security?
Those who don’t have to worry about radiation scans or body parts being touched when flying include:
- Congressional leaders traveling with a security detail (the speaker of the House, the House minority leader, the Senate majority leader, etc.)
- President Obama, Vice President Biden, and Cabinet secretaries who travel on government aircraft or with security details (Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton and Defense Secretary Robert M. Gates) do not pass through security checkpoints before flying. Cabinet secretaries who use commercial aviation and travel with bodyguards may bypass security, according to TSA.
- Former presidents flying commercial with Secret Service agents and some foreign ambassadors also traveling with guards are exempt from screening, according to the TSA and congressional aides.
- Members of the military traveling in uniform must pass through security checkpoints but are not required to remove footwear unless it sets off a metal detector, according to the TSA.
- State, local and tribal police officers who must fly with a firearm have to obtain an identifier code from the TSA before flying. The officer must present the code and law enforcement credentials before passing through security.
Copyright 2010 Liberaland