Rep. Gary Ackerman To GOP On Healthcare: Put Up Or Shut Up
Democratic New York Congressman Gary Ackerman says he’ll introduce a series of bills to give Republicans an opportunity to do what they say they want to do: repeal “Obamacare.”
The congressman said the legislation — all titled the HIPA-CRIT (Health Insurance Protects America—Can’t Repeal IT) — will give Republicans a chance to “put up, or sit down” on their campaign promise to repeal the eight-month-old law.
“This will be the big chance for Republicans to do what they’ve vowed to do,” the 13-term member said. “These bills will be their chance to at long last restore liberty and repeal the evil monster they’ve dubbed ‘Obamacare.’ “
Here are the items Ackerman will give Republicans a chance vote on to, in his words, “deprive their constituents of these silly safeguards from the big insurance companies,” by overturning provisions that:
- Ban health plans from rescinding coverage;
- Eliminate annual coverage limits;
- Eliminate lifetime limits;
- Prevent plans from turning down adults with pre-existing conditions;
- Prevent plans from turning down children with pre-existing conditions; and
- Require that insurers offer coverage for dependents up to age 26 on family plans.
A good start, no?Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2010 Liberaland