In Spite Of Disapproval On Economy, Most Americans Support Obama’s Fiscal Policies
There is a disconnect, as only 37% approve of the president’s handling of the economy, but when Americans are asked about specific policies, they approve of what he is doing, according to an NBC/WSJ poll.
- A solid majority (60 percent) supports reducing the deficit by ending the Bush tax cuts for the rich.
- A solid majority (56 percent) supports reducing the deficit through a combination of tax increases and spending cuts.
- Only 37 percent support the GOP’s solution to the deficit, i.e., reducing it only through spending cuts with no tax hikes on the rich or corporations.
- A plurality supports a federally funded roads construction bill to create jobs, 47-26, which is similar to what Obama is expected to propose in his jobs speech.
- A plurality supports continuing to extend unemployment benefits, 44-39.
- A plurality supports an extension of the payroll tax cut, 40-20.
Copyright 2011 Liberaland