Posted by | May 14, 2012 08:44 | Filed under: Top Stories

HRW says NATO airstrikes killed 72 civilians in Libya last year, and says they didn’t acknowledge the scope of the damage.

In a report based on investigations at bombing sites during and after the conflict, the New York-based HRW said NATO strikes killed 20 women and 24 children. It called on the alliance to compensate civilian victims and investigate attacks that may have been unlawful.

“Attacks are allowed only on military targets, and serious questions remain in some incidents about what exactly NATO forces were striking,” Fred Abrahams, special adviser at HRW, said in a statement…

“NATO did everything possible to minimize risks to civilians, but in a complex military campaign, that risk can never be zero,” said NATO spokeswoman Oana Lungescu in a statement.

By: Alan

Alan Colmes is the publisher of Liberaland.