How The Supreme Court Health Care Ruling Affects You
It helps you:
- Because of the Affordable Care Act, young adults under the age of 26 are able to stay on their parents’ health care plans.
- For most of the 50 million Americans who are uninsured, the ruling offers the promise of guaranteed coverage at affordable prices.
- Low-income childless adults are covered for the first time. They will be eligible for subsidies to help pay premiums starting in 2014, along with low-income families.
- In 2014, insurance companies will not be able to deny coverage for medical treatment, nor can they charge more to people with health problems.
- When it comes to your employer, coverage will be available, including people who get laid off, or those who leave a corporate job to launch their own small business.
- Seniors also benefit from the law through better Medicare coverage for those with high prescription costs, and no copayments for preventive care.
- Millions of Americans will get a rebate check, since their insurance companies spent too much of their premium on administrative costs and/or CEO bonuses.
- Insurance companies can’t deny coverage based on pre-existing conditions or gender anymore. And premiums can only vary by age, place of residence, family size and tobacco use, but only to a limited extent.