Sandra Fluke On Paul Ryan’s Terrible Record On Women’s Rights
Sandra Fluke, who rose to prominence when Republicans refused to allow her to testify before Congress on the issue of birth control, has detailed Paul Ryan’s record on women’s rights.
• Ryan voted for a bill referred to as the “Let Women Die Bill” because it proposed to allow hospitals to refuse a woman emergency abortion care, even if her life was in immediate danger.
• Ryan co-sponsored a federal personhood bill. That bill declared a fertilized egg that hasn’t even resulted in a pregnancy to be the equivalent of a living person, with all of the rights of federal law…
• Ryan voted to cut off Title X family planning programs that ensure impoverished and low-wage women affordable access to contraception as well as mammograms and cancer-screenings.
• Ryan repeatedly voted over several years to end all funding for Planned Parenthood’s non-abortion services. Like Susan G. Komen’s defunding, voting to cut off funding of Planned Parenthood would rob women of access to breast cancer screenings, cervical cancer screenings, and the other life-saving services Planned Parenthood provides.
• Ryan co-sponsored a bill that would deny many rape victims on Medicaid access to abortion.