Benen: Mitt’s Mendacity
Mitt’s lies of the week:
1. In reference to the unemployment rate, Romney said, “The reason it’s come down this year is primarily due to the fact that more and more people have just stopped looking for work.”
That’s not true.
2. On Fox News last night, Romney said in reference to the president, “[W]hat I find so offensive about his tax plan is by raising taxes on small business, as he does, he will kill jobs.”
In reality, Obama has repeatedly cut taxes on small businesses — by some counts, 18 times — and if given a second term, his tax plan would have no effect on 97% of small businesses.
3. Speaking yesterday at the Colorado Conservative Political Action Committee Conference, Romney said, “this sequestration idea … came out of the White House.”
No, it didn’t. This sequestration idea emanated from House Republicans.
4. In the same speech, Romney said Obama “spending more and more, borrowing more and more, putting us on a road to Greece.”
That’s painfully untrue.
5. In Wednesday night’s debate, Romney said, “I don’t have a $5 trillion tax cut. I don’t have a tax cut of a scale that you’re talking about.”
Independent analysts determined the proposed across-the-board rate cut would cost $5 trillion.
6. Romney said, “I’m not going to reduce the share of taxes paid by high-income people. High-income people are doing just fine in this economy.”
That’s not true. The wealthy would receive a massive, disproportionate tax break under the Romney plan.
And that’s just for starters.Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2012 Liberaland