FISA Renews NSA’s Right To Log Your Phone Calls
… if you’re in the United States, that is. Or anywhere else, come to think of it.
Earlier today, FISA Judge Mary McLaughlin (above, far left) strengthened and extended the semi-secret court’s approval of the NSA’s domestic phone snooping program, which until recently had been a close-kept secret.
Now and until civil libertarians can muster more than a costumed parade in front of a monument to something vaguely discussed in French history books, NSA will gather unlimited metadata on the phone calls of everyone with a phone, and store that metadata for months — all without a warrant.
Judge Mary McLaughlin — whose own expectation of personal privacy appears quaint in light of formalizing the distinct lack thereof for hundreds of millions of American citizens — did not comment on the ruling.
Brett Max Kaufman, counsel for the ACLU, did comment, because he actually respects our remaining shreds of privacy, and wishes Mary McLaughlin did:
Brett Max Kaufman, a lawyer at the American Civil Liberties Union, criticized Judge McLaughlin for distinguishing aggregated location tracking from aggregated call records, saying that both types of data “reveal intimate details of our lives” and that the Fourth Amendment should be interpreted as protecting “against all unreasonable intrusions into Americans’ privacy, however they are accomplished.”
Judge McLaughlin is a former corporate lawyer at Dechert, a former prosecutor, and a Clinton appointee to FISA.
Now read this:
- Rand: Patriot Act Info ‘Should Be Purged’ (May 26, 2015)
- White House Moving To End Bulk Data Collection (May 23, 2015)
- Republican Senator Accuses Christie Of ‘Political Pornography’ (May 22, 2015)
- GOP Congressman Credits Snowden With Changing Position On Patriot Act (May 14, 2015)
- Sen. Bob Corker Says NSA Collects Too Little Info On Americans (May 13, 2015)
- Christie Backs NSA Phone Records Collection, Patriot Act (May 9, 2015)
Rob is a NYC-based Internet entrepreneur. He's also a businessman and job creator (wait: doesn't demand create jobs?) who understands the sense, and the eventual predominance, of the progressive agenda.
Our Readers Say ...
Hot Off The Liberaland Press…
- More Americans Admit To The ‘L’ Word
- Bernie Sanders Has Great 404 Error Page
- Kenyan Lawyer Wants To Buy Malia Obama For Cows, Sheeps And Goats
- Appeals Court Blocks Obama Immigration Plan
- Pam Geller’s Genius Plot To Empty DC Trains and Buses: Mohammad Cartoons
- Post What You Want Right Here
- Pastor Arrested For Gay Sex In Van Caught Stealing